Reading to your children is the single most valuable gift you can give them. You are giving them wings to fly.
Here are a few reasons why reading to your children everyday is so essential:
1. A bonding time for the family: Reading together sparks imagination, ideas and laughter which brings interactions, story telling and sharing experiences.
2. Opens an ocean of knowledge and broadens their horizon: Kids learn about the world, diverse cultures, people, places and situations. It encourages curiosity and puts forth new ways of looking at a situation, of thinking, behaving and dreaming. It helps them understand concepts and values.
3. Blossoms their Imagination and creativity taking them into a world they build for themselves.
4. Helps build vocabulary, articulation and fundamental literacy skills.
5. Sharpens the brain, increases concentration and enables memory building: Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. You can help make reading book their meditation.
6. Builds and enhances critical thinking skills.
7. Helps memory improvement
8. Fosters good writing skills
9. Develop listening skills
10. Increase empathy: children experience lives other than their own through the characters in the book. This, in turn, contributes to developing empathy by improving a reader’s capacity to understand what others are thinking and feeling.
The above benefits are just as applicable to adults as they are to kids. But here are some additional benefits for adults:
Reading enriches are lives, opens doors and inspires us
Increases memory and keeps our mind sharp as we age
Reduces illness ~ physical & mental - Diminishes risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s as it exercises your brain.
Reduces stress & anxiety. It is a relaxation technique
Enhances sleep quality
Improves analytical, writing, & conversational skills
Increases your perceptiveness when reading people & situations
Let's encourage our children to become lifelong reader.